Monday, September 13, 2010

Freedom



Let me thank god right now that Kate does not know how to unlock doors and turn knobs on doors ~ yet! I was washing the dishes the other day and it was too quiet in the house. That is usually my clue that Miss Kate is up to no good. Boy was I right. Little Miss Kate was finally brave enough to go through the dog door. I say brave because for months she has been very curious about the door. Lifting the flap. Peering her head through it. But never actually going through it. Well things changed this weekend. I caught her going through the door and it was like she escaped prison because she had this look on her face like "I did it!" and her actions were a bit confused like "now that I have this freedom, what do I do, where do I go, what to do first?" So needless to say this weekend was loads of fun. Each time I put the dog door on lock-down she yelled at me, "no no no no no no!" Clearly, I ruined her fun. So being the nice mom I am I suffered in the heat so that Miss Kate could do what SHE wanted...be outside.


"here Blake, let's play ball"


"what to do, what to do..."

I know the next step is learning how to unlock doors. She is already on her tip-toes trying to do it. She knows how to open/close doors since we have lever-door handles; thank goodness the front door is a knob. Give it time and I am sure she will get that down too. I am going to have to have her on a leash or something. I can just picture it now. My neighbor will call me, "Um, Annette, I have your kid, she was playing in my front yard."


This video may or may not work...but it shows Kate escaping "prison"

2 comments:

  1. So glad we have knobs everywhere! Of course eventually we'll probably have to get slide blots up high everywhere and of course make sure all things that could be used as stools or ladders are gone and then eventually we'll just have to get a really good alarm system and put the house on lock down (teenage years).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that the truth...when the house is quiet, you just know there is a war zone going on somewhere! Like this afternoon, I would have much rather found Grayson going through our doggy door...instead he had found Chase's hot spot medicine (oil) and poured it all over himself, the floor and the just-opened $30 bag of dog food! Good times :-)

    ReplyDelete